Key details about AFCON 2021
- Hosts Total AFCON 2021: Cameroon
- Group B: Burkina Faso, Uganda, Malawi, South Sudan/Seychelles
- The two legged four preliminary ties will be played in October
- Group stage matches kickoff in November with two Match Days
- The winners and runners-up will qualify from each group except in Group F where Cameroon automatically qualify as hosts with the highest placed of the other three teams.
Uganda Cranes has been drawn in Group B for the qualification stages of the Total Africa Cup of Nations 2021 to be hosted by Cameroon.
Familiar foes Burkina Faso and Malawi are Uganda’s opponents, They will also be joined by either South Sudan or Seychelles who have to negotiate their way to the group stages by featuring in a two legged affair in the preliminary round.
The draw was conducted at Mariott Hotel in Zamalek, Cairo Egypt on Thursday evening, a few hours after FUFA President had been elected on to the CAF Executive to represent Central East Zone (CECAFA). He beat Tanzania’s Leodegar Tenga by 33-19 votes during the poll.
The four preliminary ties will be played in October and the group phase kicks off the following month with two rounds.
The winners and runners-up will qualify from each group except in Group F where Cameroon automatically qualify as hosts with the highest placed of the other three teams.
African soccer legends Nkwankwo Kanu (Nigeria), Khalilou Fadiga (Senegal), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Mohamud El Khaleb (Egypt) and Rabah “Mustapha” Madjer (Algeria) helped conduct the exercise for the draws witnessed by CAF President Ahmad Ahmad.
According to the qualification process, four matches will kick off the preliminary round with the winners joining groups A, B, C and D.
- Liberia Vs Chad – Winner will remain in A4
- South Sudan Vs Seychelles – Winner will remain in B4
- Mauritius Vs Sao Tome e Principe – Winner will remain in C4
- Djibouti Vs The Gambia – Winner will remain in D4
THE GROUPS FOR 2021 AFCON QUALIFICATION-CAMEROON
- A: Mali, Guinea, Namibia, Liberia or Chad
- B: Burkina Faso, Uganda, Malawi, South Sudan or Seychelles
- C: Ghana, South Africa, Sudan, Mauritius or Sao Tome and Principe
- D: Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Angola, Djibouti or The Gambia
- E: Morocco, Mauritania, Central African Republic, Burundi
- F: Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Rwanda, Mozambique
- G: Egypt, Kenya, Togo, Comoros Islands
- H: Algeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana
- I: Senegal, Congo, Guinea Bissau, Eswatini
- J: Tunisia, Libya, Equatorial Guinea, Tanzania
- K: Cote D’Ivoire, Niger, Madagascar, Ethiopia
- L: Nigeria, Benin, Sierra Leone, Lesotho