Somalia 0 Uganda 4
Ethiopia 1 Sudan 1
Kenya 0 Malawi 2
Cranes Captain Andrew Mwesigwa says he regrets the action he took against the Somali player in the Monday afternoon clash that costs him a place on the next squad against Burundi on Thursday.
Mwesigwa however clarifies that he did not have the intentions to hurt any player but was only aiming at clearing away the ball. Mwesigwa was given marching orders during the game Uganda won by 4-0 with Emmanuel Okwi scoring a hat trick after Dan Wagaluka scored an opener. “I apologize to all my fans and the technical bench for this red card. I have no choice, the referee’s decision is final” said a visibly concerned player leader.
Both Mwesigwa and the Somali Captain Yasin Ali Igal got the red cards. “I shall miss playing against Burundi but will offer all my prayers to win and top the group” said a committed Cranes captain. Uganda with six points went on top of group ‘B’.
Elsewhere, Kenya lost 0-2 to Malawi in their opening Group ‘C’ match and the Harambee Stars performance was less than encouraging from a team obliged to correct a poor recent past before tough internationals ahead. John Banda punished some poor defending in the box by Kenya to open the scoring in the 23rd minute and even though Harambee Stars conceded the second goal through a penalty- Malawi skipper Joseph Kamwendo converted it in the 61st minute. Kenya lost 3-2 to Malawi in the group stages of the same tournament last year.
They now play Ethiopia on Wednesday in a match they have to win or stare at another embarrassing elimination
In the first game at Dar es Salaam International stadium, Ethiopia came from behind to draw 1-1 with Sudan. Sudan is the only country in the region that qualified for the Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea early next year.
RESULTS & FIXTURES:
Friday, November 25:
1. 2.00pm: Burundi 4-1 Somalia, Gp ‘B’
2. 4.00pm: Uganda 2-1 Zanzibar, Gp ‘B’
Saturday, Nov 26:
3. 4.00pm: Tanzania 0-1 Rwanda, Gp ‘A’
Sunday, Nov 27:
4. 2.00pm: Zimbabwe 2-0 Djibouti, Gp ‘A’
5. 4.00pm: Zanzibar 0-0 Burundi, Gp ‘B’
Monday, Nov 28:
6. 2.00pm: Sudan 1-1 Ethiopia, Gp ‘C’
7. 4.00pm: Kenya 0-2 Malawi, Gp ‘C’
8. 4.00pm: Somalia 0-4 Uganda, Gp ‘B’ [Azam FC Stadium, Chamazi]
Tuesday, Nov 29:
9. 2.00pm: Rwanda v Zimbabwe, Gp ‘A’
10. 4.00pm: Djibouti v Tanzania, Gp ‘A’
Wednesday, No 30:
11. 2.00pm: Ethiopia v Kenya, Gp ‘C’
12. 4.00pm: Malawi v Sudan, Gp ‘C’
Thursday, December 1:
13. 2.00pm: Somalia v Zanzibar, Gp ‘B’
14. 4.00pm: Burundi v Uganda, Gp ‘B’
Fri, Dec 2:
15. 2.00pm: Rwanda v Djibouti, Gp ‘A’
16. 4.00pm: Ethiopia v Kenya, Gp ‘C’
Sat, Dec 3:
17. 2.00pm: Kenya v Sudan, Gp ‘C’
18. 4.00pm: Tanzania v Zimbabwe, Gp ‘A’