Uganda’s top two women leagues are set to benefit from the latest FIFA supported programme dubbed the ‘FUFA League Development Project.’
The project-an initiative by FUFA and presented to FIFA is aimed at developing women league football and other areas of the game in the Country.
FUFA looked at the many women football support programmes FIFA had and selected the one designed for League Development.
FUFA has already benefitted from another programme-the Club Licensing workshop for women football clubs in the FUFA Women Super League and Women Elite League. It was held last year at Jevine Hotel, in Lubaga.
The two year League Development project will be launched in Uganda on 30th April 2022 in Mukono.
FIFA women football experts Zimbabwean Violet Jubane and Thuba Sibanda will attend the launch to climax with a FUFA Women Super League match between UCU Lady Cardinals and Olila High School at the Uganda Christian University Grounds in Mukono.
The FUFA Deputy CEO in charge of Football Decolas Kiiza is delighted about the latest development.
‘FUFA initiated the programme after looking at the various support programmes FIFA had. The support from FIFA is always geared towards women football development. It is such support that has helped women football grow in leaps and bounds in the country. The success story of women football in Uganda is heavily attributed to the deliberate programmes designed by both FIFA and FUFA for the girl child. We hope to benefit from yet another programme’ said Kiiza.
During the launch, FIFA will hand over the package officially to FUFA which will be received on the same day by the clubs.
The Project will also target key areas aimed at improving women football in capacity building courses and technical expertise.
The two leagues- FUFA Women Super League and FUFA Women Elite League will be considered for this project’ noted Kiiza.
The FUFA Women Football Development Officer Joan Namusisi will be the Project coordinator.
The Objectives of the project
- To increase the number of girls and women playing football.
- To improve the quality and quantity of human resources involved in football.
- To increase the visibility and profile of women football.
- To extend equipment support to clubs in the leagues.
FIFA Women football Support to FUFA since 2013
- FIFA Com-Unity Women Football in 2014-resolutions from this seminar led to the birth of various football activities including the start of the top flight women’s league
- Live Your Goals aimed at giving the girl child a chance to play football between the age of 6-16 years
- Football Equipment support- football boots, shin guards, jerseys, balls, nets
- Football Courses in refereeing, administration, coaching, Club Licensing
- FIFA Covid Relief fund to Women football clubs and Member Associations in Uganda